The bathroom is no longer just a place to get clean. Comfort has become a primary aspect of daily bathing and to achieve this, your bathroom needs to have the right fittings and fixtures. Finding the bathtub you want takes research and planning. The good news is that you can choose from a wide range of bathtubs in Toronto, have your tub of choice delivered to your home and get it installed in no time. The only difficulty you might experience is fitting a large tub into your bathroom. If you’re in one of the City’s older homes, however, there’s a good chance the bathroom is large enough to accommodate your dream bathtub.
Questions to Ask
Before you make your choice from the range of available bathtubs in Toronto, you need to determine the answers to these questions:
- What style or theme are you planning for your bathroom?
- How much space do you have available for a bathtub, and what size tub do you want or need?
- How often do you plan to use the tub?
- Where in the room will the bathtub be installed?
- Will you need to move your plumbing installation or drain inlet to accommodate the bathtub?
- Will the bathtub include an overhead shower, and if so how will you enclose it to prevent water mess?
Naturally, there are other considerations such as colour and shape, but these are aesthetic issues and don’t have the same impact on installation costs.
If you’re building a new home or doing a complete bathroom renovation, you’ll likely have more leeway in your choice of a bathtub than you will if you’re just installing a new bath. Determine where you plan to place the bath, and then measure the space available before looking at the tubs. Take a tape measure with you when you go shopping for bathtubs in Toronto and check that the exterior measurements of the baths will fit into the area you have in mind. If you’re planning to install a larger tub than normal, make sure your hot water heater is able to deliver enough hot water to fill it.
Types of Bathtubs
Here are some of the types of bathtubs in Toronto that you can choose from:
- Whirlpool tubs with air- or water-powered hydro jets for gentle massage of sore muscles
- Antique tubs with clawfoot rests for a romantic, period look and feel
- Walk-in tubs with entry doors for safe, upright bathing for those with restricted mobility
- Drop-in tubs for use in elevated platforms
There’s also a huge variety of sizes and shapes available, from bathtubs that are made for small spaces to those that can accommodate two bathers at a time. Shop around the stores that specialize in plumbing fixtures in Toronto to get an idea of what’s available before you finalize your decision. Lie down in the tub you like to make sure it’s comfortable for you – once it’s installed it’s too late to change your mind!
Another important factor in your choice of bathtubs in Toronto is the material the tub is made from. This can have a huge impact on your options as well as the installation costs. While fibreglass bathtubs are lightweight and the most economical, their looks don’t compare with the beauty of products made from cultured marble. Cast polymer bathtubs are the best for retaining heat and they mimic the look of natural stone, but aren’t as durable as acrylic. Cast iron bathtubs are tough with good heat retention, but they are heavy so you need to ensure your bathroom floor can handle the load.
It’s best to consult with your local plumber before you go shopping for bathtubs in Toronto. That way, you know exactly what your options are and you won’t choose a tub that’s impractical for your situation, which could lead to disappointment.